Reservation for Dalit Christians
An individual belonging to Scheduled Tribes may profess any religion and the Castes/ Tribes included in the list of Scheduled Tribes under Article 342 of the Constitution, are entitled for getting the benefits of reservation in services of the Central Government.
The Scheduled Castes converted to Christianity are included in the Central List of Other Backward Classes of some of the States and are entitled to the benefit of the reservation in services of the Central Government. However, the issue of extension of Scheduled Caste status to Scheduled Caste converts to Christianity is presently sub-judice in the Hon’ble Supreme Court of India.
This information was given by the Minister of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions Shri Jitendra Singh in a written reply to a question in Lok Sabha on 16.3.2018.
- Reservation for Dalit Christians
- Reservation in promotion for Scheduled Tribes
- Enhancement of Reservation for SCs and STs – RS Q&A
- Reservation in promotion – Minister replied in Rajya Sabha
- Direct Recruitment to Group C – Reservation Fixed on the basis of Population